You are here
EOS Undergraduate Scholarship for Myanmar
The Earth Observatory of Singapore Undergraduate Scholarship for Myanmar is offered for two students from Myanmar to participate in the Environmental Earth Systems Science Undergraduate Major Programme at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore.
Please find more about the undergraduate major programme here. The programme offers several specialisations within the major depending on student interest, and the students chosen for the scholarship will be able to choose any specialisation they wish within the major.
The scholarship will handle all expected expenses for the students during their study at NTU, including (in Singapore dollars):
- Fees for full tuition without Singapore Ministry of Education tuition grant for four years of study;
- Living allowance of S$7,200 per academic year;
- Book allowance of S$600 per academic year;
- Accommodation allowance of up to S$3,000 per academic year;
- Semester 2 vacation allowance of S$600 per year for three years;
- Travel grant of S$5,000 for study abroad (one-off);
- Computer allowance of S$1,500 (one-off);
- Settling-in allowance of S$250 (one-off);
- One-way airfare from country of origin to Singapore at the beginning of the programme of study (one-off);
- One-way airfare from Singapore to country of origin at the conclusion of the programme of study (one-off);
- Fees for application for admission and entrance examination;
Selection for the scholarship is a joint process between the Myanmar Geosciences Society (MGS) and the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS). The selection process for students will occur through the MGS.
Students will be selected based on:
- University grades and standing from their first year of University study in a B.Sc. (Geology);
- Ability to communicate in English;
- Myanmar University Entrance Examination results
- Interest in the Earth sciences;
- Two short-format essays with topics to be decided by EOS.
Each essay must be no longer than 1 page, double spaced, in Times New Roman 11 font. The essay topics for 2014 are as follows:
- Describe your long-term goals
- Describe why you are interested in this major programme, and studying the Earth and environment
Applying to the Programme
After the two selected students are notified of their selection, the next step in this process is for these students to officially apply to NTU. This may take some time, and will require an internet connection. At the conclusion of the process, students will be asked to upload supporting documents for their BHSEC results and pre-University marks. The information required to fill the form is provided here. If the student has difficult completing the application, they may contact the Undergraduate Academic Officer. The coordinator can complete the application on your behalf if you are able to provide your information. Please note that the application fee for NTU will be paid for by EOS. The student should not pay the application fee. Once the student has filled out their application and uploaded the supporting documents, they can contact the Undergraduate Academic Officer to arrange for EOS to pay the application fee.