The Asian School of the Environment is seeking a project officer to support the creation of a new research laboratory on resilient and inclusive cities in Asia-Pacific.
The Asian School of the Environment (ASE) at Nanyang Technological University is an interdisciplinary School that aims to be a world leader in environmental research focusing on environmental challenges in Asia. The ASE integrates earth and environmental life science, ecology, engineering and technology, human ecology, humanities, and the social sciences to address key issues of the environment and sustainability.
The research laboratory on resilient and inclusive cities in Asia-Pacific will address important challenges related to rapid urbanization and climate change in the region. Natural infrastructure, ranging from green roofs to urban trees, parks, or peri-urban forests, has the potential to address these challenges, although it remains insufficiently implemented in Asia. The new research program aims to increase the evidence base on the role of natural infrastructure for urban resilience and climate adaptation in Asia-Pacific, and inform policy and practice to create more resilient and inclusive cities. The program builds upon an interdisciplinary approach, combining geospatial modeling of urban environments and empirical studies of urban practice.
We seek candidates who will thrive in an interdisciplinary environment and have a genuine interest in urban sustainability in Asia-Pacific. The position provides opportunities for the candidate to explore new research areas and pursue their own interests, expand their professional network in Singapore and internationally, and develop skills in program management and education. The position offers travel opportunities to support field work and expand collaborations in Asia-Pacific – in particular in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia.
The position is funded through January of 2021 and may be extended through 2022 and beyond depending on funding and candidate performance.
The project officer will support the new research program through:
- internal and external communication (30%),
- administrative support (20%), and
- research and teaching support (50%).
Internal and external communication tasks include the development of a website, print materials, slide decks, and writing blog articles or other web contents. Administrative support tasks include supporting, planning events travel logistics, processing forms and reimbursements, maintaining website. Research and teaching support involves conducting literature reviews, assisting with writing proposals, research papers, and developing teaching materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to urban development
- Experience or willingness to learn about urban studies, regional planning, environmental management
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and positive attitude
- Excellent project management skills, organization, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills
- Basic experience with website development, communication/sharing platforms (e.g. Google Drive, etc.)
- Experience working internationally and with diverse non-academic audiences
- Experience supervising interns or undergraduate research assistants
- Regional foreign language skills
- Experience managing budgets or projects or teams
Compensation: Nanyang Technological University offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, cover letter, and names and contact details of two referees, to email@example.com indicating Project Officer – Resilient Cities in the title.
Review of applications will begin immediately. We regret that only successful candidates will be informed